Kindergarten programs are delivered by a qualified early childhood teacher. They are designed to support your child’s development in:
- social skills, like how to play with other children in a calm, sharing and rewarding way
- self-awareness and respect for others
- emotional skills, for example understanding their feelings
- language, literacy and numeracy skills, such as reading stories and counting objects
- a joy for learning and group activities, such as talking, drawing and making things together with other children their own age
- ability to make new friends
- exposure to new ideas and concepts.
Kindergarten assists families:
- opportunities to meet other families and make community connections
- access to support for children with special needs
- access to other community services.
A child’s kindergarten readiness takes into account the child’s developmental level and social readiness, as well as their age.
Please speak to your Early Childhood professional or Maternal and Child Health Nurse to discuss your child's readiness for kindergarten.
Kindergartens are located in a number of areas across the Corangamite Shire, offering kindergarten programs for both three and four year olds.
Council coordinates the following kindergarten programs as an Early Years Manager. You can contact the Family and Children’s Services Team on 5593 7100 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Cobden and District Kindergarten
0418 943 450
Derrinallum Kindergarten *
0447 219 127
Lismore Kindergarten *
0447 219 127
0448 481 261
Simpson and District Kindergarten
0409 761 542
Terang Children’s Centre
0447 430 940
Timboon and District Kindergarten
0419 842 203
*Lismore and Derrinallum are jointly managed as the Western Plains Kindergarten and the service is shared between venues.
The Corangamite Shire is an Early Years Manager. Early Years Management (EYM) is when a number of kindergartens are managed by the one organisation.
Corangamite Shire Council, through Early Years Management, operates in partnership with the kindergarten voluntary parent groups. This enables parents to have greater involvement in their child’s development and learning through the planned educational program.
Parents have an important role to support the operation of the service and participate in fundraising and social activities.
Kindergarten Programs Managed outside of Early Years Management
Baranbali Camperdown Kindergarten
(03) 5593 1936
Banana Splits Childcare
Camperdown VIC 3260
Phone: (03) 5593 2392
Buckle My Shoe
8 The Promenade
Terang VIC 3264
Phone: (03) 5592 1109
Please find below a virtual Kindergarten orientation question & answer session developed and presented by our teachers and co-educators. While there is lots of information provided it will not be inclusive of all the questions you may have, please feel welcome to call our Kindergartens directly or send any questions through to our Family & Children’s services team.
Two years of subsidised kindergartens is available at Corangamite Kindergartens. Subsidised by the Victorian Government, and delivered locally, every child who is 3 (first year) or 4 years (second year) of age before 30 April in their year of enrolment will be eligible for up to 15 hours per week of kindergarten.
Council operates as a ChildSafe organisation and all staff working with children must hold a current Working With Children Check, registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching and/or a National Police Check.
All of Council’s kindergarten programs display the Victorian Government Kinder tick meaning we offer a funded approved program, led by a qualified teacher, provision of play-based learning and a program that complies with government guidelines and the National Quality Framework.
Regardless of the type of program model, your child/children will be learning through play led by a qualified early childhood teacher. Play based learning is the best way to help young children learn, develop and thrive.
Programs in 2023 and 2024
All kindergarten programs being offered in 2023 and 2024 will be multi-age/integrated groups. This means a blend of three and four year olds for the two years before school. We will endeavour to have equal numbers of children in all groups as best we can while also responding to requests for preferred days.
All kindergarten programs will be 5 hour sessions. After Kinder Care programs will continue to be offered at both Terang and Timboon with care provided 5 days per week.
Children must turn three before April 30 in the year they attend their first year of kindergarten. Due to staff ratio requirements, children must be aged 3 and above before they can attend kindergarten.
Priority of Access
The Department of Education & Training requires services to operate a Priority of Access. When more eligible children apply for a place at a kindergarten service than there are places available, priority of access applies. Priority of access is a condition of funding and must operate across all kindergartens. Provisions for priority are:
- vulnerable families engaged with child and family services, child protection and out of home care
- refugees or asylum seeker children
- children eligible for the kindergarten fee subsidy
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children
- children with additional needs as per D.E.T guidelines.
Kindergarten is FREE for 2023 and 2024.
Important Dates for families:
- Registrations open Monday 8 May 2023 – Closed Friday 30 June
- Families new to any Corangamite Family and Children’s Services programs will receive a link to complete an enrolment form in July.
- Confirmation of kindergarten sessions to families in September
- Orientation Session for children in December
Additional Subsidised Kindergarten Year
An additional year of funded kindergarten may be considered when a child may need extra support and educational opportunities in key outcomes of learning and development.
An assessment by a multi-disciplinary team is carried out for each child when an additional year is being considered and families are an important part of this process.