Terang is one of the oldest rural towns in the state and is noted for its grand, historic trees, many more than 100 years old and National Trust classified. Terang is named from an Aboriginal word meaning “a twig with leaves”.
Settlement of the area dates from 1839, with land used mainly for farming. Growth was minimal until the 1840s and 1850s, when the township of Terang was established. Expansion continued during the late 1800s and early 1900s, aided by the saw-milling industry. The most significant development occurred in the early post-war period. The population has declined slightly since the early 1990s, a result of little change in dwelling stock and a decline in the average number of persons living in each dwelling. Much of the rural area is used for dairy farming.
Terang Dry Lake walk (Lake Terang), High Street Avenue bandstand, Apex Playground, public swimming pool, golf course, Bowls Club, Recreation Reserve, Terang Racecourse (Thoroughbred Racing) and Dalvui Raceway (Harness Racing).
Library, Aged Care Facilities, regular rail and bus service, Terang P-12 School.
Ridley Agriproducts, McVilly Timber, Terang and Mortlake Health Service, Terang Co-op, Blarney Bakehouse, Bushman Tanks, Star Printing, Windmill Agricultural, Mount Noorat Freighters, Picone's Pharmacy, The Wheatsheaf Hotel, Terang DEMOdairy, May Noonan Hostel.
Swimming, golf, croquet, bowls, equestrian, football, netball.
New Year’s Day Races
Annual Gala Night
Terang Progress Association