Roadsides, naturestrips and open spaces
Maintaining nature strips and roadsides
Nature strips provide a great buffer from our roadways to residential dwellings and also play a functional role in essential services such as water electricity, gas and phone/internet infrastructure.
We mow roadsides at intersections and high traffic areas to improve safety for pedestrians, cyclists and drivers. We also mow some roadsides around towns, shopping areas and tourist destinations.
Roadside spraying and slashing
Council has a Rural Roadside Management Plan in place to reduce fire fuel and hazards on a large number of local roads.
- Spraying works are carried out in both spring and autumn.
- Strategic roads have a 4m width spray in spring and a 2m width spray in autumn.
- All other roads on the spraying program have a 2m width spray in both spring and autumn.
- Our slashing program commences in October/November depending on weather conditions with a second cut being carried out in March/April.
- Roads on the slashing program have approximately a 2m width slash.
- If a growth season is experienced, an extra cut is carried out as required.
- Council sprays 2,460kms of road and slashes 1,192kms.
- Additional works are also identified through our road inspection program and customer requests.
Our Parks and Gardens team also maintain numerous open spaces within the Shire's townships and undertake works including:
- Pruning and planting of nature strip trees
- Maintaining garden beds in our open spaces
- Lawn mowing
- Cleaning and servicing of public BBQs
- Cleaning and maintaining of public toilets
If you wish to hold a function, eg wedding, birthday, etc, at one of our open space areas, please contact us so that our Parks and Gardens team can have it looking it's best for you. You can use our on-line Customer Request Form or contact our Customer Relations Team on 03 5593 7100.