Frequently asked questions

ll sheep

Can you help me locate my missing pet?

If your pet goes missing, contact Council to see if it has been found. You should also check with local vets who often receive found or injured animals. Similarly, if you find a pet, please contact Council as someone else might be looking for it.

Don't forget that it will be much easier for us to reunite you with your pet if they are microchipped and registered.

How do I collect an impounded animal?

If your animal has been found wandering "at large" and wearing identification tags, a Local Laws Officer will contact you to arrange collection of the animal. Fees may apply.

Do I need to get my pet microchipped?

All dogs and cats over three months old must be registered with the Shire and must by law be microchipped.  Microchipping involves implanting a small computer chip under a pet's skin.  The chip can be read by a scanner to retrieve the contact details of the pet's owner.  It gives owners confidence that they will find their pet if it is lost or is found injured and taken to a vet. Pets can be microchipped by a vet.

How many animals can I have?

In urban areas, you can have no more than:

Two cats
Two dogs
Two horses
15 poultry
Two donkeys, mules, cattle sheep and goats

Pigs and other agricultural animals are not permitted in urban areas.

In rural areas, you cannot keep more than five cats and five dogs.

What if I want to have more animals than is allowed?

You need to apply to the Council for a special permit to house more than the allowed number of animals.

Excess Animal Permit Application form.

Please note:  Dogs and cats under 12 weeks of age are not included in the number of animals that can be kept under the Local Law.

Can I get a discount on my pet registration fee?

Yes, if you have a Pension Concession Card or Health Care Card.

Can I get my pet tag replaced?

Yes, just call at our office.

What are restricted breeds of dogs?

Restricted breed dogs are defined as dogs that fit the Approved Standard for Restricted Breed Dogs in Victoria. These may be pure or cross bred American Pit Bull Terriers (or Pit Bull Terriers), Perro de Presa Canarios (or Presa Canario), Dogo Argentinos, Japanese Tosas, or Fila Brasileiros.

Restricted breed dogs have not attacked a person or animal or displayed signs of aggression, but they are considered a higher risk to community safety than other breeds of dogs.

You are required by law to declare if your dog is a restricted breed dog. Failure to do so may result in a fine. For more information, visit the AgVictoria website

Reporting of Dog Attacks

All dog attacks should be reported to Council Local Laws Officers immediately or as soon as possible.

Council provides an immediate 24 hour Local Law response for dog attacks.

Visit the AgVictoria website for information on preventing dog attacks.

For all other pet related issues, please refer to Council's Domestic Animal Management Plan or contact Local Laws during business hours

I am concerned about the welfare of an animal, what can I do?

If you have concerns about animal welfare, please contact RSPCA Victoria. RSPCA Victoria primarily investigates animal welfare concerns about companion animals where there are less than 10 head on the property. A report can be made to the RSPCA by phoning 9224 2222.


Council Local Laws Staff are not authorised under the Prevention of Cruelty of Animals (POCTA) Legislation and Council are therefore unable to lodge concerns with RSPCA on someone else’s behalf.