Port Campbell Town Centre Project Update August 2019
Following extensive community engagement, Council adopted a Concept Design Plan for the Port Campbell Town Centre Project in March 2019.
Since that time, further work has commenced to progress a more detailed refined design, and this work is now ready to share with community members.
Some of the features of the schematic design include:
- The shared pedestrian and vehicle zone in Lord Street and Cairns Street. This will give pedestrians priority and allow for future increased pedestrian activity. It will be a low speed area for vehicles
- Retention of two way vehicle movement on all streets
- Changes to parking layout and supply - 268 parking spaces are proposed compared to the existing 245 spaces. Car parking provision in Tregea Street is increased from 53 to 71 spaces (including 3 accessible car parks).
- Accessible car parking to meet current Australian Standards – increased from 6 current car parks to 11 accessible car parks, including parallel, angle and 90⁰ spaces
- Improved pedestrian linkages to key trails and the National Park, including on the Old Great Ocean Road
- A revised foreshore treatment, improvements to the interface with Lord Street and Cairns Street and the retention of 90⁰ angle car parking
- Picnic platforms and decking along the Norfolk Pines area to allow people to stop and view
- Improved landscaping and seating opportunities.
The schematic design includes many of the key elements shown on the concept plan adopted by Council in March 2019. These include:
- Removal of the roundabout at Great Ocean Road and Morris Street , and a revised intersection design to encourage vehicles to use Morris Street rather than Cairns Street
- Removal of the roundabout at Cairns Street and Lord Street to improve pedestrian priority
- Changes to bus movements including reduced bus movement on Cairns Street, and creation of a bus drop off/pick up zone near the Parks Victoria office
- Introduction of parallel car parking in Lord Street and provision for timed parking
- Enhancement of the forecourt area in front of the Port Campbell Surf Life Saving Club, to improve usage, movement and pedestrian safety.
Your feedback on the schematic design is welcome, and can be provided via the below feedback form or by email to
firstname.lastname@example.org until Monday 30 September 2019.
Schematic Design Consultation Plans August 2019
Adopted Concept Plans - March 2019