Local Laws



We have a set of local laws and policies which operate to protect the amenity of Corangamite Shire and the safety of all those who come to be in it. These rules cover many aspects of daily life - from practical safety issues to more aesthetic considerations.

We encourage all members of the community to take responsibility for maintaining the Shire as a safe and pleasant place to be by having regard for each other and by complying with the local laws.

Permits must be obtained from the Shire to ensure certain fundraising events, business activities, farming enterprises and fire management procedures are conducted in a manner that ensures that the public safety and amenity of the community is protected.

You can apply online for the following permits:

If you are having any issues with the online forms, please let us know and we can provide a hardcopy form for you to complete and submit.

You will need to complete a Local Law permit application form if you wish to apply for any of the following

  • Having chairs and tables outside a restaurant or cafe
  • Using an A-frame board to promote your business
  • Displaying goods for sale outside a shop
  • Excess animals
  • Undertake an activity on a road reserve
  • Grazing your animals on the side of the road

Local Law Permit Application 

Need to know more?

More detailed information about Local Law permit conditions can be found in the Use of Council Land Policy and for further Local Laws and policies please look up the relevant Council Local Law.



Noise can be residential and/or industrial. The Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) has produced a booklet 'Annoyed by Noise' which can help you deal with noise from residential sources.  For noise from  a commercial or industrial source, you should contact the EPA.

Who can I contact?

Here is a list of contacts if you are experiencing a noise problem:

 Problem  Who  Contact Details
 Barking dogs

 Corangamite Shire
 Local Laws

 5593 7100
 181 Manifold Street

 Residential property  Corangamite Shire
 Local Laws or Environmental Health 

 5593 7100
 181 Manifold Street

 Residential property
 (after hours)
 Local Police

 5593 1000
 49 Fergusson Street

 Licensed Venues  Consumer Affairs

 1300 558 181
 Level 2, 452 Flinders St 

 Neighbourhood disputes   Rural Dispute Settlement Centre

 1800 658 528
 4/456 Lonsdale Street

 Commercial site  Corangamite Shire
 Environmental Health

 5593 7100
 181 Manifold Street

 Noisy Vehicle  Traffic Management Unit
 Local Police

 5593 1000
 49 Fergusson Street



  1. A person is guilty of an offence if he/she:
  2. Does something that a provision of the Local Laws prohibits to be done
  3. Fails to do something that a provision of the Local Laws requires to be done
  4. Engages in activity without a current permit where a provision of the Local Laws requires that person obtain a permit before engaging in that activity
  5. Breaches or fails to comply with a condition of a permit issued under the Local Laws
  6. Fails to comply with a direction of an authorised officer under Clause 6.2 (Local Laws No 1)
  7. Contravenes or fails to comply with a Notice to Comply within the specified time of the Notice.

Infringement Notice

  • Where an authorised officer reasonably believes that a person has committed an offence against the Local Laws, the officer may issue to that person an infringement notice, in a form approved by Council as an alternative to a prosecution for the offence.
  • A person to whom an infringement notice has been issued must pay to Council the amount specified by the due date on the notice.



  • A person may appeal to Council or a Council delegate for a review of an order, direction or notice made in relation to him or her under the Local Laws within 28 days of the order, direction or notice being made.
  • Where an appeal is to be heard under this clause, the person appealing must apply in writing to Council within 28 days of receiving the notice.
  • Learn the process and how to request an infringement review here.