Mayor welcomes road funding pledge

Published on 10 May 2022

Road projects.jpg

Corangamite Mayor Ruth Gstrein has welcomed a Federal Government pledge of $3.2 million for road upgrades in the Shire.

Liberal Member for Wannon Dan Tehan yesterday announced funding for upgrades to Noogee Road, Terang, Roycrofts Road, Boorcan and Darlington-Terang Road, Glenormiston North.

The federal funding will cover 80% of the $3.95 M combined cost with Council to cover the remaining 20%.

Mayor Gstrein said Council had been advocating for funding to improve the roads in question because they were high priorities for the community.

“Roads are always a major issue for the safety of our residents and visitors to our region, as well as the ability of our farmers and freight companies to do business.

“This funding will allow us to deliver some really significant projects that we would not have been able to complete otherwise.”

“Ahead of the Federal election later this month Council calls on all Wannon candidates to match the commitment to ensure these projects are delivered,” Cr Gstrein said.

Widening Noogee Road, Terang - $950 K

2.3 km of Noogee Road west of Terang has a narrow seal width of 3.9 m with gravel shoulders on both sides. The proposal is to establish Noogee Road as an alternative route for trucks that currently travel along Baynes Street through the Terang township. Noogee Road connects Terang-Framlingham Road in the north with Princes Highway in the south. Baynes Street is a residential street that periodically requires rehabilitation in sections as a result of the heavy vehicle traffic using it. At an estimated cost of $950,000 Noogee Road would have pavement strengthening and an increased seal width to accommodate two way traffic movements and higher heavy vehicle volumes.

Widening Roycrofts Road, Boorcan - $1.25 M

3 km of the 7.8 km of Roycrofts Road has a narrow 3.7 m seal with gravel shoulders on both sides. Roycrofts Road provides a link for dairy and grain trucks from the Princes Highway in the north to the Cobden-Terang Road in the south.

At an estimated cost of $1,250,000 Roycrofts Road would have pavement strengthening and an increased seal width to accommodate two way traffic movements.

As part of the upgrade the existing “Y” shaped intersection between Roycrofts Road and Cobden-Terang Road would be made safer by converting it into a “T” intersection.

Widening Darlington-Terang Road, Kolora - $1.75 M

4.2 km of the 20 km length of Darlington-Terang Road has a narrow 4.9 m seal with gravel shoulders on both sides. Darlington-Terang Road provides a link for grain trucks from the Hamilton Highway in the north to Terang-Mortlake Road in the south.

At an estimated cost of $1,750,000 Darlington-Terang Road would have pavement strengthening and an increased seal width to accommodate two way traffic movements. Also as part of the upgrade the existing “Y” shaped intersection between Darlington-Terang Road and Terang-Mortlake Road would be made safer by converting it into a “T” intersection. 1.7 km of the road to be widened is within Corangamite Shire.

The remaining 2.5 km of the road to be widened is in Moyne Shire, so this would be a three way partnership between Moyne, Corangamite and the Federal Government.