Free workshops to upskill job seekers
Published on 04 May 2021
After a successful first round of upskilling workshops, Corangamite Shire residents have more opportunities to become more employable.
The free Upskilling Corangamite workshops aim to help residents secure their working futures coming out of the COVID-19 restrictions.
Council Manager Growth and Engagement Rory Neeson said the first of the one-day sessions—CPR at Port Campbell Surf Life Saving Club, Responsible Service of Alcohol at the Timboon Distillery, artisan business development at Timboon Fine Ice Cream, and coffee making—had been very well received.
“Upskilling Corangamite workshops are part of our COVID Recovery Program, co-funded by the State Government,” Mr Neeson said.
“Many people and businesses were affected by the pandemic closures and lockdowns in the past year.
“These workshops are intended to help Shire residents and businesses by making sure our community members have the skills local businesses need.
“Most workshops are all formally accredited, making participants job-ready or adding weight to their employment resumes. Light lunches will be provided.”
The following courses will be delivered by genU Training across the Shire throughout May and June:
- Monday 24 May, Terang Civic Hall, 9 am-5 pm
- Tuesday 25 May, Lismore Bowling Club, 9 am-5 pm
- Food Handling
Wednesday 26 May, Timboon Bowling Club, 9 am-4 pm
- Responsible Services of Alcohol (RSA)
- Tuesday 8 June, Sow and Piglets Brewery, Port Campbell, 9 am-3 pm
- Wednesday 9 June, Hampden Hotel, Camperdown, 9 am-3 pm
- Monday 21June, Derrinallum Bowling Club, 9 am-4 pm
- Tuesday 22 June, Sully’s Bistro, Cobden, 9 am-4 pm
Local business Sinnott’s Accounting will also deliver a bookkeeping workshop using the popular Xero accounting software.
It will suit locals interested in taking on bookkeeping as paid employment as well as local farmers and business operators keen to maximise the benefits of the Xero program.
- Bookkeeping with Xero (Sinnotts Accountants)
- Thursday 26 May, Killara Centre, Camperdown, 9 am-2 pm
To find out more, click here or contact community support officer Helen Arundell on 5593 7100 or email@example.com.