The Corangamite Shire Youth Council consists of young people from all secondary schools in Corangamite including Hampden Specialist School, plus 2 Community Members.
The Youth Council works on a number of projects including Health and Wellbeing Projects, Beyond the Bell and FReeZA events.
The Youth Councillors are mentored on their projects by Shire Officers, including the Youth Development Officer, FReeZA Events Officer and Shire Councillors.
Youth Council is support by the Corangamite Shire, Supporting Corangamite Youth, all Corangamite secondary schools including Hampden Specialist School and the Victorian Government through the Engage! program.
The purpose of Youth Council is:
- For rurally isolated young people to identify issues and needs within their own communities and to work on addressing these
- For young people to be involved in their local government youth strategy
- To build confidence and skills in young people, including leadership, communication, team work and project management skills
- To increase young people's access to networks and facilities and for young people to have the opportunity to build their own networks
- To increase and strengthen young people's engagement in community activities and social events
- To increase feelings of connection with peers, family and adults
- To recognise young people's achievements and celebrate these in the community
- To raise awareness of issues affecting young people, such as their health, recreational or social needs